Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Simple Sentences, Powerful Effect

If by some strange chance I change my mind and vote for Prop. 8, it will be because of these simple sentences.

"You will NEVER see me sending out emails about prop 8. It is hard enough for me just to support the prophet on this one. But we are. Big faith builder :)"

The sentence is a paraphrase from friends. I foolishly deleted the email. They are Mormon liberals with more faith in both their liberal ideology and their Mormon faith than I have. (I tend to be fretful and nervous when there are real or perceived conflicts and then compensate with obstinence and anger. Bad combination.)

Somehow the simple combination of clear pain and frustration with the tone of faith and submission touches me far, far more than all the preaching, explaining, threats, and punishment that I have been subject to so far. Not surprising, but I think local leadership might want to learn that not everyone sees the gospel the way they do, and so their approach comes across as manipulative and demanding and everything that 121 says it shouldn't be.

No comments: