Tuesday, July 22, 2008

X-Treme Littering

Many years ago my Uncle Bernel showed up at my folks house (I still lived there) with a few pieces of PVC pipe which he used to pressurize air and water in a soda bottle and send it hurtling skyward as a little home built rocket. Needless to say, I was hooked and we built one and I enjoyed showing it off to friends, my science class (8th grade I think), and any who would watch.

I've seen many others through the years. Most of them more sophisticated (with pressure gauges and release mechanisms) but none more fun so now 20 some odd years later I decided to build one for my kids. It was fun and I built it almost completely from scraps my father in law lent me. The only problem is that we have a much smaller yard so a large fraction of the rockets end up in neighbors' yards.

Now anyone can throw soda bottles on your front lawn, but to drop one from 40 feet onto your roof, that's X-Treme littering. (I have tried to aim away from other houses and may have to write apologies on all bottles before hand.

2 comments:

Arnold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arnold said...

Let's try this again.

How can you post an entry like this without showing us movies of the activity.

But more to the point, can you bring some rockets to Sacramento? I think I can find a park or two where we can send them aloft without landing on a neighbor's house.